Just like any sport, there is a pathway for drivers to follow to get to the top of the racing ladder. In this post, I will cover the first, and most basic step to becoming a pro driver, which is go karting. That being said, 99% of pro drivers start with go karting and work their way up from there. Here is a rough outline for how to start your karting career!
1) Go to the local outdoor go karting track and get some practice.
2) Buy a go kart and register for regional and national go karting competitions to get some basic race experience.
3) Hire a mechanic and/or driver coach to help you become more competitive, if you feel that this service can help you.
4) Establish yourself in the karting world by winning high-level karting competitions such as Super-Nationals in the US and the ECKC Championship in Canada.
5) Once you have won or finished on the podium at multiple high level karting events it is time to approach car teams....
Tune in for Part 2 of how to become a pro driver where I will explain how to transition from karts to cars!
Still have a question? Leave a comment or post it on the page and I will answer it.